Set of Three French Malachite Gold Brooches, Paris, circa 1850
In the Louis XVI taste, a rare set of three French malachite 18k gold domed pins, one larger and a pair of matching, the tops tooled in gold tracery workshops of Paris, each enhanced by a central pearl, in original fitted leather case stamped Marret et Jarry Frères, Français joailliers bijoutiers, rue Vivienne, 16, Paris
By Marret et Jarry Frères, Paris, Second Empire, circa 1855, with French gold hallmark.
One ¾ in. (1.9 cm) diam., ½ in. (1.3 cm) high; the pair 5/8 in. (1.6 cm) diam., 3/8 in. (1 cm) high.
Founded by Hippolyte Marret (1804-1883) and his two brothers in law, Eugène Jarry (1818-1883) et Gustave Jarry (1821-?), Marret et Jarry Frères opened shop in Paris on October 11, 1851 designing, manufacturing and selling fine jewelry, gold and silverware. The firm only lasted seven years before being taken over by two nephews in 1858.
In 1855 Marret et Jarry Frères won a top prize (médaille d’honneur) for their exquisite diamond parures and other jewels at the Exposition Universelle in Paris.