Russian Silver Bachelor’s Set by Grachev of St. Petersburg, circa 1900
Comprising a silver luncheon fork and knife with steel blade, soup spoon and beaker, the flatware of plain silver with rivets on slightly tapered handles, the beaker with reeded border, in original fitted leather traveling case, the inside of lid stamped Brothers Grachev, St. Petersburg in Cyrillic below the Imperial Eagle.
By the Grachev Brothers, fully hallmarked with maker’s mark, assaymaster’s mark, St. Petersburg, 1899-1908 and the Imperial Warrant.
The beaker 3 3/8 in. (8.6 cm) high; 2 7/8 in. (7.3 cm) diam. (top); flatware: 7 3/8 in. (18.7 cm) (opened); 4 in. (10.2 cm) closed; the leather case: 4 ½ in. (11.4 cm) high; 3 in. (7.6 cm) diam. at the top.
One of the best silver firms in St. Petersburg, the Gratchev Brothers were principal suppliers to the Imperial Russian Court. In 1892, the company was granted the title of Imperial Court Supplier and allowed the use of the Imperial Warrant or double-headed eagle as part of its hallmark.