Large 1880s Russian Gold Ruby Diamond Trefoil Cufflinks, Moscow
A pair of rare Romanov-era cufflinks, period of Tsar Alexander III, designed as rose gold squares with rounded edges, each inset with a rose diamond and ruby clover, symbol of the Holy Trinity in the Russian tradition enhanced with rose gold ribbon in the scrolling Art Nouveau style. The gold backs flip open in a T form making them secure and easy to slip on.
Moscow circa 1880.
Front link measures 3/4 in. (1.9 cm.) wide; 1/8 in. (.3 cm.) high; distance between front and back link: 3/8 in. (1 cm.).
Popular in the late 19th century and favored by the Russian Grand Dukes, these solitaire cufflinks with flip open backs were worn on barrel style cuffs.