1880s Russian Gold Micro-Mosaic Pin/Pendant by Blumenthaller, St. Petersburg
Rare Russian pin/pendant from the Romanov era, period of Tsar Alexander III, this Italian micro-mosaic was mounted as a Russian gold brooch by the St. Petersburg jeweler, Carl Petrovich Blumentaller. Later fitted with a pendant hook.
The gold stamped with the crossed anchor and scepter mark for St. Petersburg and maker’s Cyrillic initials Kha. B, for Carl Petrovich Blumentaller.
1 in. (2.5 cm.) diam, including mount; the mosaic, ¾ in. (1.9 cm.) diam.
In 1902 Carl Blumentaller had a workshop at 15 Bolshaya Morskaya in St. Petersburg, steps away from the Fabergé shop at 24. He dealt in corals and micro-mosaics from Grand Tour excursions.