Russian Gold Diamond Egg Pendant by Köchli, circa 1900
From the Romanov era, period of Tsar Nicholas II, this deep pink rhodochrosite egg enhanced with overlapping gold bands each terminating in a bead set rose-cut diamond was made by the leading Russian court jeweler, Friedrich Köchli (1837-1906). With gold suspension ring.
By Köchli, St. Petersburg, circa 1900, the ring stamped with maker’s initials F K and 56, the Russian gold standard for 14k with the assaymaster’s mark.
1 in. (2.5 cm) long including outer suspension ring; egg alone measures 5/8 in. (1.6 cm) long; 3/8 in. (1 cm) wide. Chain not included.
Found in Russia and elsewhere, rhodochrosite is a semi-translucent rose pink to cherry red ornamental hardstone that was historically carved into vases, bowls, figures, objets de vertu, and more rarely as seen here into egg pendants.
For more information on Kochli, see Beyond Fabergé: Imperial Russian Jewelry by Marie Betteley and David Schimmelpenninck van der Oye, Schiffer, 2020.
Out of stock