Small Russian Imperial-era Inlaid Gold Easter Egg Pendant, circa 1890
From the Romanov era, this rare Russian miniature egg of unusual tree-color design is inlaid with white agate, red purpurine and opaque green glass and divided by gold bands, attached to a gold suspension ring.
Russia, circa 1890, stamped 56. Chain not included.
3/4 in. ( 1.9 cm) long including outer ring. Egg alone measures 1/2 in. (1.3 cm) long. Sold as is.
Purpurine is a deep red vitreous compound discovered in a lab in the 17th century and revived in the late 19th century by the Imperial Glass Factory in Russia and by Carl Fabergé in St. Petersburg.